Thursday, September 24, 2015

Welcome Fall With a Secret Simple Self Care

Lemon print on handmade paper prayer flag


I LOVE Fall in Ohio.  Yesterday was a gorgeous first breath of autumnal air.  It was cool sleeping in the 50s and warm and sunny during the day in the 80s.  All of the plants are rendering the last bits of life.  Where I live there are mums everywhere.  It's simply gorgeous.

For teachers this point in the school year seems to pile on stress, fatigue starts to set in, and the first signs of illness and compromised immune systems start to raise their ugly heads.  I'm going to recommend one super simple self care tip that has made a big difference for me in the past year.  

I started drinking a mug of lemon, ginger, honey tea first thing in the morning.  You can read some of the benefits of warm lemon water HERE.  I make the mixture ahead of time in a pint mason jar.  I use the jar in about a month.  I slice up lemons and ginger root to fill the jar {2-4 lemons and a small ginger root}.  Then I fill the jar with the best honey I can afford.  I recommend including as many of these words in the honey as you can--organic, local, and raw.  For the first time at the end of August I got all three words in thanks to the Akron Honey Company.  Screw the lid on, and store in the refrigerator.

In the morning heat water, add 1 - 2 spoons of mixture to your mug, and add water.  {Sometimes I add cinnamon, too.}  I like to take a few deep breaths over the lemon infused steam.  It makes me stop for just a few moments and soak in the essence of life.  {It's easy for me to forget this in the morning rush!}

Also, when I come home and my throat is sore or my nose is stuffy I drink another mug full and breathe the steam.  I think it has made a big difference in keeping me healthier and more in touch with reality.

Let me know how it works for you!

What are you doing to take care of yourself this Fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment