Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday Preparation and Countdown



It's hard to believe that Christmas is just one week away. We have had another packed weekend of graduation celebration (Congratulations, Tim!) and making holiday gifts. All three of the people in my little family have been working on gifts this weekend--especially putting the final touches on things that we've been working on for weeks. Next week I will share the adventure of making gifts with little people when the gifts have been revealed!

I often reach this point feeling overwhelmed and inadequate. (Why didn't I just buy something? Will they like this or use it? And all the other lurking questions in my internal dialog.)

That's there this year, but it's more of a whisper than a shout. I'm recognizing that what I'm really gifting people with is an intimate look into my values--consideration for people who are less fortunate than we, practical gifts, some traditional nibblies, and so on. I can let go of guilt and shame and fear and hold some of my time in a sacred space to look at lights and pretend to be Santa and making new memories. This is all a surprisingly uncomfortable shift.

I'm also reserving energy for three more days of school before Winter Break. There are so many unpredictable and uncontrollable factors on those last few days. We are going to attempt to maintain some decorum and civility and maybe some learning, too! I also have some cool books to share with my students this week, too. I'll try to share that through the week, too.

How are your preparations going? I hope you will try to carve out a little sacred space to sit with yourself. Sending you good wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment