Friday, March 8, 2013

Classroom Writing: Ten Word Stories

Here's a fun and easy writing idea:

I started doing these little writing projects with my students back in December.  I call them Ten Word Stories.  I have been very pleased with the results.  It seems to give my students enough structure to really let their creativity flourish.  I also like it, because we do not have many opportunities to celebrate seasonal events and holidays.  This allows us to sneak in some of the fun while still doing the work.

Here is how it works:

I give students a list of ten words that they must include in a story.  The students write, and then we share.  They can be as creative as they want to be.  (In December I had a little alien, named Reindeer, living on the planet Santa!)

Here are lists of words for January through April.

I also think it might be fun to give 10 verbs or 10 adjectives!  (I haven't done this yet.)

We've added art, and they have made a great hall display, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment