Monday, March 12, 2012

Savor


When a word makes its way onto my radar, and then keeps popping up, I usually sit up and take notice. The word that has been here for the past week or so is SAVOR.

It was in Jen Louden's talk at the Right Brained Business Summit.
I've read it on several blogs.
I just saw it over at Superhero.

I find this a bit ironic, because I can't even remember the last time I had time to savor anything--the smell of the almost spring air, a good wallow in bed, a little taste of a decadent treat, nail polish, or really anything else.

It's not bad enough that my time and life are way overcommitted right now, but I feel so guilty about it, too. I feel like I'm not living up to the hype as a mom or wife or friend or daughter or sister or teacher or student or business woman or artist or anything else. I have tears in my eyes as I type this. This is part of what makes life so complicated and difficult to balance. I can't even tell you the next time I can pencil in "time to savor," but I know that it's some time after Easter.

And then I stop for a moment, and I remind myself, that part of savoring is just being present to this moment. . . and the moment yesterday when I shouted, "It's the first robin of spring!". . . or the moment yesterday when my son handed me the tiniest little flower that he found outside for me. . . or the moment when I got to play Chutes and Ladders for the first time ever with my son.

The triumph for this moment and day and week and month is savoring even if it's just a little moment. When my plate is so overflowing I can't keep it all together, but I just show up and stay present.

What moments are you savoring?

No comments:

Post a Comment