Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Top Tips for Igniting Creativity Mojo


It takes a huge amount of creative energy to be an amazing teacher.  Sometimes the creative stream seems to have dried up and become a harsh desert.  Here are some of my best ideas for bringing back that creativity mojo.

5.  Unplug for as long as you possibly can--a day, a week, a month.  All that access to the world and crazy cat videos does not fuel our creativity.  Quite the opposite.  Turn everything off and take a little break.  I used to do this one day every week.  You will be amazed what your brain will do when it's not constantly thinking about facebook.

4.  Take a little artsy/craftsy class or workshop {Did I mention I'm teaching 2 later this month.}  It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.  And the less it is something you "usually do" the better.  Find a Wine and Canvas event, and drag a friend with you.

3.  Take a nap.  Sometimes I actually go to sleep thinking about creative problem solving, and it's crazy what I come up with the next day.  Sleep is essential to creativity.

2.  Grab some old art or craft supplies and see what you create.  Let it flow.  It doesn't have to be anything you ever show to anyone.  I LOVE to grab a few old magazines, scissors, glue, and a big piece of paper.  I'm amazed by what becomes clear when I glue all those little phrases down.

1.  This is my number one best tip:  Go for a walk in nature.  If possible do this alone.  If possible make this a regular part of your life.  It will change the way you see the world, your problems, your body, and so much more.  Let yourself just relax--especially your mind.  I can't tell you how many times I've been driving home from a couple mile walk in the woods and an idea will just pop into my head.  It's amazing.

I want to point out that most of these ideas are FREE.  That does NOT make them easy.  It's all about stepping outside of your regular routine.  That is always a little tricky so BEST WISHES!


No comments:

Post a Comment