Friday, December 10, 2010

Another Good Book


It's Friday, and I have another book to share.

I'm not even sure why this one came to mind today. It has woven itself in and out of my life over the past 6 years. Today I'm recommending Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. This is a powerful book (and film) about an Iranian girl growing up in revolutionary Iran. There are 2 parts to this graphic novel--sometimes they are published in one volume.

I think part of what draws me to this book is that Marjane and I are about the same age, and she references many cultural icons with which I can relate. That is where the similarities between our lives ends. However I love her honesty and poignancy. Can't we all relate in some way to growing up and life not turning out at all how we expected?

I would also recommend the animated film that was nominated for an Academy Award.

If reading this peaks your interest about Iran, I would recommend the travel documentary of Iran by Rick Steves.

No comments:

Post a Comment