Friday, November 18, 2011

Low Cost Science Experiments





Last year was the first year I taught 4th grade science. I was struck by how difficult it was to find experiments that related to the state standards that were affordable for 50 kids and did not require much "real science equipment." I can find lots of demonstrations that I do and kids watch, but there is something to be said for 9 and 10 year olds being scientists--being successful and failing.

One topic we study is matter. I found these really good and simple experiments for physical and chemical change. It took some planning and organizing on my part. We set up 6 stations around the classroom, and students worked in groups of 4 or 5. It definitely requires a little planning and shopping. (Like cooking red cabbage juice!) It was a good experience last year, but it was easier and neater for me this year. Kids love it.

Where do you find low cost age appropriate science experiments?



Don't forget to check out great quotes over at Brave Teachers. There are FREE printable posters HERE and HERE.
Keep doing all that amazing work Brave Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment