Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ultimate Book Recommendation


Have you ever wondered why it's so hard to find soul care for teachers? I have. Of course there is the classic by Parker J. Palmer, The Courage To Teach. But it is really hard to find a current book that provides practical ideas for how to acknowledge the realities of your teacher heart and soul, and then provides the practical steps to change the spot your in and encourage and challenge you to move forward. I've finally found one, and so I'm giving it my Ultimate Book Recommendation.

Awakened: Change Your Mindset To Transform Your Teaching by Angela Watson

This book will rock your universe if you are looking for practical ideas about how to care for your teacher heart and soul! If you're willing to be honest about where you are, and you know you need a different and healthier way to deal with professional disappointments, expectations, and criticism, this is the book for you. (Of course, if you teach in a place where you don't deal with those things, ignore this whole post, and go on with your perfect day!!!)

I was pleased as could be when Angela Watson sent me an electronic copy. I've been a fan of her online work, and I own a copy of her first book, The Cornerstone, and I really recommend it, too! I've been so challenged and inspired as I've made my way through the book. I did not find it be a quick read, but rather the sort of book that I would read about one topic or chapter or section and then need some time to digest.

In Awakened, Ms. Watson, shares a bit about her own journey and what brought her to write this book. I can't imagine any teacher not relating to the examples she shares throughout the book. If you read this blog or BraveTeachers.com on any sort of regular basis, then you know I'm a BIG believer in changing your self talk and attitude with affirmations and other tools. That is a big part of this book. Changing your responses to what the teaching profession throws at you, by changing your responses, thinking and self talk. It's not some magic potion, but rather practical practice to literally transform your teaching.

If you want to learn more about this powerful book, check it out HERE. If you want to buy the book, I really recommend that you get it right from Angela HERE. She offers the book in a variety of formats, both physical book and various electronic formats. I think this book would make a GREAT holiday gift for yourself or any teacher who is ready for a change in thinking.

What book has rocked your world recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment