Monday, July 9, 2012

A Brave Book



Up:  A Mother And Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure by Patricia Ellis Herr

This is my favorite book I've read so far this summer.  It was unexpected because I just grabbed it off the shelf at the library that had some new books. I had never even heard of it.   I didn't expect that I would be grabbed by it.

Here's what Publishers Weekly had to say about it:

"...a charming, uplifting account...a keen feminist fable for brave girls." 
-- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY 

Here's a quick overview.  A mother takes her energetic young daughters hiking--up really big mountains.  The girls love it.  Other adults are skeptical and negative.  The mother has loads of courage on many different fronts--as a woman, as a mom, as a hiker, and more.  The girls learn so much about courage and confidence and determination and more.

As I think about it, I'm most blown away by the courage and strength of the mother and author.  She made courageous choices about parenting and life so many times.  I hold up her example, not just for her daughters but for brave hearts everywhere.

It's just a gentle quiet book.  It's well written.  I'm still feeling inspired by it a few weeks later.  

If you want to read more about the book or their adventures, Patricia blogs HERE.

What have you read recently that has inspired you?

No comments:

Post a Comment