Monday, July 12, 2010

Chasing a Blue Heron



I live blocks away from the Ohio/Erie Canal Towpath. It's a great place to walk, bike, or run. I thoroughly enjoy the historical and natural significance of the this spot. Sometimes I try to imagine what life was like during canal days or even before that when the first Ohioans lived here.

This evening my little family took a stroll down to the canal, and we quickly spotted a blue heron, an often illusive resident. So as soon as we would get close enough to take a picture that sucker would take off. They are so majestic when they fly, but I didn't get to see much as I was messing around with the camera!

We would catch up to where he landed and was standing perfectly still, and he would take off again. It was as if we were playing a game of chasing the Blue Heron! We probably repeated this for close to a mile total. At the top I've included my 2 favorite photos. The one of him flying away was the last view we had, as he tired of the game. Ashh, summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment