Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Three Worlds and What Is Art?



This spring my little family went to an amazing M. C. Escher exhibit at the Akron Art Museum. My husband and I both enjoyed one piece titled, Three Worlds. We purchased an inexpensive little print, framed it, and have it in our house.

And then that little print had a bit of a powerful momentary impact on me. We were hiking, and I saw a turtle in the water, some leaves on the water, and the reflection of a tree in the water. I instantly thought of the piece by Escher. I also thought about what the role of art in the world is. I believe that one part of the role of art is raising our awareness to the world around us. That's exactly what happened to me. I would never have seen those 3 items when I looked down toward the water. It makes me so grateful for art and the awareness it gives me.

What impact does art have on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment