Monday, September 13, 2010

Inspired By Volunteers

Volunteering rocks! My all time favorite job, as a literacy advocate, was voluntary, but it paid a stipend. I know what makes me volunteer, but I'm always amazed when other people do it.

So I'm so inspired by the people who are volunteering in my classroom, and I can't wait for more volunteers! So this year my volunteers range from parents, to middle schoolers to 3rd and 4th graders.

I love the 3rd grader who wants to help kids be better readers, so he is going to come to our room on indoor recess day to listen to kids who are practicing their outloud reading voices. Who wouldn't be inspired by this?

I love the eager 4th graders who want to make our class a better place, so they cut and glue and organize for stuff like math games.

I love 3 old middle school friends of mine who come in once a week to make copies, cut out stuff, and even put together lamps. I love just seeing them, but I appreciate their willingness to work.

I love the mom who makes copies faster than a speeding bullet--no kidding. She is so organized and masterful.

And finally the mom who comes in once a week to play math games. I think she must feel like she has entered a cyclone--there's a new group every 15 minutes, the kids are all different. It's crazy, and she is amazing. I wonder if she takes a nap when she leave?!

Props out to anyone who volunteers anywhere. THANKS! The world IS a better place bacause of you

If you have one hour a week you can spare, please volunteer at a school. It can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be, but it is so good for kids and teachers. What kind of volunteering have you done? or would like to do>

No comments:

Post a Comment