Friday, October 1, 2010

Board Books Are Not Boring


I live with a 20 month old, and like any parent my reading habits have changed. I'm the kind of reader who slowly savors a book. I can't remember the last time I've savored a full grown up novel, but I've read more board books than any one person should read. (Board books are those books made for little kids with really thick pages.)

I've seen more that I've loved than I've ever imagined. I've even seen some books that really are great for older kids. Today I'd like to recommend one of those that is hanging out in my house right now.

It's Catch Picasso's Rooster by By Julie Appel and Amy Guglielmo It's one of a series of books that have famous pieces of art and then some tactile object. The rooster has a red feather over his comb. The back pages have descriptions of the art and artists.

Online I've even seen lesson plans for using this book and then giving kids prints of art to add items to make it their own.

I think it's a fun way to bring fine art home. There is a warning that little kids could pull off the pieces and choke. All I can say is that Sam loves this book, and he wants to share the fun with anyone who comes to our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment