Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Your Own Words




It's winter in Ohio and indoor recess has turned into an issue--cabin fever, immaturity, and lack of social empathy lead a few to ruin it for everyone. So I thought what if I asked them to write down what they thought indoor recess should be like. Everyone listed 3 things they thought about indoor recess. I condensed these down into a small locker sized bulletin board. I just taped up the papers. I feel a little sly about using their own words--oh, well...

My tip for this week is to trust that most kids have it within them to know what the right thing to do is. The words of our students hold so much more sway over other children than anything I can think of to say or do. So let them speak. And use their words.

I'm hopeful for some turn around on the recess front!

How do you see words holding positive power in your workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment