Monday, January 17, 2011

Inspired. . .By a Dream


…I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream...

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., August 28, 1963


You can watch the whole speech here. It's difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that when Dr. King spoke those words in front of the Lincoln Memorial he was in his early thirties. He had such vision. And the influence.

I'm thinking of some ways he influenced me:
  • Seeing today as a day to focus on community service
  • Serving in Americorps for 2 years in the middle of a teaching career
  • Marching and carrying a sign that says, "Speak Truth to Power Now," with Dr. King's face on it
  • Struggling with my own racial beliefs and experiences
  • Taking training through The People's Institute
  • Confirms my belief in the power of education to empower people and change society

I wonder what could have been done if he had lived longer. And in many ways I'm inspired to ask how much more could/should I be doing with my life?

How does Dr. King's influence touch your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment