Friday, January 14, 2011

Recommendations Expand and Storytelling


In the new year I've decided to expand my Friday book recommendations into a mutlimedia recommendation day. Part of this is because I'm extra busy with school, with little time for extra reading, but also because I keep finding AMAZING podcasts, blogs, websites, and videos.

So in the past couple of months I've been really impacted by the stories other people have told me. I grew up in the house of an amazing storyteller--I just thought this was a bit of a freakish gift my mom and a few other people had.

I lived for a year in a bush village of Alaska, and for the Yup'ik culture storytelling and doing were the 2 main ways people were taught. (I did not "get this" at all when I lived there.)

There is some crazy (might I say mystical?) way that a story gets inside of us to a really sacred place, and it says, "Listen!" "That's you." and other profound life altering truths.

So today I'm please to recommend The Moth Radio Hour. It's an hour of storytelling that airs weekly on many NPR stations. If you click here, you can listen to archived stories. It's one of the places that I've been learning that other people's stories and my own can be so transformational.

No comments:

Post a Comment