Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another Organizing Tip: The Gray Box




I don't have words for what a big part of my teaching style and classroom the gray box is. It's a part of me as a brave teacher. If you can't tell from the photos, its' one of those portable hanging file boxes. It's the place where my students turn in everything--except a few things like unit tests. I've used it in grades 1-4.

Here's how it works for me:

~There is a labeled folder for every subject, plus a few more, like "Late Work."
~Students put their finished work in the folder--as they finish it.
~Sometimes I have students put the completed work in number order (alphabetical), and sometimes I do it. (I fantasize about individuals putting them into the folder in number order, but that hasn't happened, yet!)

Benefits for me:
~All completed work is in one spot until I'm ready to check it.
~It allows students to work at their own pace and turn in work when they're done.
~It's a consistent and automatic place for kids.

What do you do bravely at your job that just works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment