Monday, March 28, 2011

Inspired to Go With A Camp Theme

The count down to Ohio Achievement Assessments has begun. In just 12 school days (plus Spring Break) the official testing week will be here. In order to spice up the review and practice in our room we're doing a camp theme. Another teacher and I are sharing this, so kids spend part of the morning with her for Camp RAP (Reading Achievement Practice) and part of the morning with me for Camp MAP (Math Achievement Practice). The rest of the day we go about our normal curriculum. Here are some of the things we're doing:



  • We've divided into 2 group--the squirrels and the chipmunks.

  • Our time together is divided into 3 sections:

1. Campfire: Our work and review together time


2. Personal hike: Practice on your own time


3. Recreation: Games and fun ways to practice



While it takes a lot of time to pull all this together, and sometimes I feel like I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, it's much more interesting for me. I think this carries over to students. I expect that no matter what the outcome is, we will all be more content with a more interesting approach to practice. Maybe the test results will even show a bit of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment