Thursday, May 26, 2011

Expect the Unexpected


This week started out with me thinking that there were just a couple weeks of school left. I was hoping that it would be as gentle and smooth as the ending of a school year can be. By midweek I knew that I should have expected the unexpected.

Our family's two year old was getting breathing treatments every four hours. Did he have viral pneumonia or asthma or an infection? Was he going to get worse or better? Two doctor's appointments and a trip to the hospital in less than 24 hours. Expect the unexpected.

I feel like I'm coming apart around the edges. I just wanted to finish up some year end assessments and read a novel and play some math games with my students. And frantically rush through all the year end stuff related to school. Instead it's been expect the unexpected.

There is a life lesson in all of this. I'm sure. But I think I need a little more sleep and some time to finish grading papers before I can wrap my head around that. At this moment I am grateful that this is not the normal week in my life, that I have a generally very healthy child, that I don't have to do this alone (God bless single parents) and that there is an end in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment