Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins and the End of the Year

As the end of the year approaches, there seems to be more work to do every day, and yet students are less and less motivated to do work. (Who am I kidding, so are teachers.) Here are some great online resources I've found. Some cost a few bucks, but at this point seem worth every penny!

Mr. Popper's Penguins, the movie is coming out June 17. Here's the trailer.
It would be a great read aloud or read together for the last few weeks of school. Here are a bunch of activities. More here. and more here. I think we will read this (or at least start it) the last week of school.

Some other books that I've ended the year with include:

The Best School Year Ever--Some years we've made compliments for classmates book.
Holes--ending with watching the movie

I also really like to let kids reminisce and make a little memory book. Here is one with more resources than I would even use. I love her stuff!

I also like to have kids make mini-posters of what next year's class needs to know. Some years I put the board up and cover it with plastic over the summer. It's great to return in August with one thing already looking neat and put together.

Usually on the last day or next to last day, we clean and sort together. I try to generate a list of jobs ahead of time, so that all the books get collected and kids take all their stuff home.

What do you do to make it through the last week or two of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment