Thursday, August 18, 2011

Slow Down Martha Stewart-ish Teachers



Yep. You know who you are. Everything in your room is color coordinated--right down to the tissue box holder and adorable little homemade seats for your library area. And are those handwoven book baskets on handcrafted bookshelves, stained to match everything else? All those adorable alphabets all cut out and hanging from banners of recycled hand made paper across your classroom.

Slow down! I'm trying to keep up, but I just laminated my homemade posters for my focus wall--in all different colors of construction paper. My bulletin board trim has adorable polka dots, except for the stuff with frogs, and the other stuff with lizards, and the plain blue corrugated stuff.

Seriously I'm proud that today I put up locker tags and desk tags and lunch choice. The truth is no matter how fast I run, I will never catch up. There aren't enough hours in a day for me to catch up. I applaud your effort and investment. I look at the pictures on your blog and sigh longingly. It's just not me. I am preparing for the BEST YEAR EVER behind that great green door, but my room is not super cute.

I guess that's a really good thing to figure out. I have invested time in doing long range lesson planning for the year, creating an interactive notebook and focus wall for language arts. I'm still in the process of revamping my family handbook and creating a new powerpoint for the family meeting I'm hosting the night before kids begin. I'm doing all of this, and I'm trying to make peace with myself about it all being enough.

I suspect all of you might be feeling the same way--even if you have been making super cute goodness. You are enough, brave teacher. And if you are the Martha Stewartish type, I'll take any baked goods or cute projects you want to send my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment