I don't just use them for calling on students during academic time. The students seem to really appreciate that it seems like a fair way to handle things. (There is always the kid who says, I'm always picked last, so everyone likes it, except that one.) Here are some other ways I use them:
- Choosing indoor recess games
- Receiving a special privilege--such as sitting in a special spot in the classroom
- When I'm giving out compliments or "this is what I see you doing well" comments
- Giving away freebies that I'll receive in the mail, such as posters
- Doing a special job for the teacher
And lots of other ways I can't think of right now!
In the past few years it's hard to remember a week that this little box of stars didn't serve me well!
What are your tips for keeping your classroom fair and balanced?