Monday, February 20, 2012

Make It Monday: Simple Pear Tart





OK, ok, I know this is not exactly a tart, because it doesn't have crust. It is, however, a super yummy and simple dessert to make. Where I live in Ohio it's easy to find a variety of pears reasonably priced in many different markets.

I just made it again last week. I also added plums and fresh ground nutmeg. It had a great, gentle flavor.

I know I found the recipe on the web, but I could not locate the source. If you find it, please let me know so that I can give credit where credit is due.

Recipe:

Pear Tart
2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

1 cup granulated sugar

pinch of salt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 pounds fresh pears, preferably Bosc or Anjou (about 5 to 6)

butter for dotting the tart

12 whole cloves (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC with a rack in the upper third of the oven.
Peel the pears, cut in half lengthwise, and core to remove the seeds. Slice the pear halves into thin slivers.
Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and continue beating until well-blended.
Add the flour to the eggs and milk. Mix to form a thick cake batter.
Add the pears to the batter and mix gently until the slices are evenly coated. Deposit the batter in the greased and dusted cake pan.
Top evenly with small pieces of butter and whole cloves (if using).

I think this is a surprisingly flexible recipe. Use different fruit and spices. The quantity can very, and you'll still end up with a yummy dessert. I bet it would work with different sweeteners and with whole wheat flour!

Happy cooking!

What are you making today?

No comments:

Post a Comment