Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Recommendation Friday


This week I am pleased to recommend a book that's been around a little while. It was a 2005 National Book Award Finalist. It is Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles. It is the middle book, and in my opinion the best, in her Aurora County Trilogy.

I am always surprised by how disarmed I am by it's down home charm and how close to the heart is its treatment of grief and loss. The main character is 10 year old Comfort Snowberger, and her family runs the local funeral home. She has attended so many funerals. Yes, Comfort is not the only unusual name--like her annoying little cousin, Peach Shuggers.

I love to see how kids respond to this book, especially the plot twists and the amount of death--a topic many people don't discuss with kids.

For teachers there is rich vocabulary, many opportunities for writing lessons, and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment