Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Recommendation Friday


I saw this book as I quickly rushed through a bookstore, and then my husband brought it home to me from the library. (I'm not sure who found whom--the book or the woman!)

Oh No! by Mac Barnett with amazing illustrations by Dan Santat. I also saw another book by Mac Barnett that is a very creative mystery in board book form titled, The Clock Without A Face. It is definitely a book for older kids--maybe 8-12.

Back to Oh No!--I adore this little book. It's both surprisingly simple and complex. As an adult it feels quite predictable, but I think kids will enjoy it just the same.

I think it has appeal for a broad audience. (OK, I even read it to my 18 month old, who nodded vigorously when I asked him if he like it.) I like that the main character is a girl science nerd, but my husband says it will have great appeal to boys, too.

Some ideas for how to use it:

~I think it would be a fun lead into an elementary science fair project
~I like the many possibilities for writing prompts--what happens next? or What science project can you think of that might go horribly wrong?
~I also love doing a little tease (if you've ever thought of building a robot or creating a science project in your garage, this book is for you), and then putting it in the class library and watching kids desperate to get their hands on the book.

What ideas do you have for ways to use picture books in middle grades or wherever you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment